Jessie Belle White’s great-grandfather, Matheus Flansburgh, (Mattheus1, William2, Anna3, Jessie Belle White4) was an early founder of the town of Day, Saratoga Co., NY. Matheus was born in 1763 in Guilderland, Albany Co., NY. He was the eighth of eleven children. He married Maria Clute (Cloët) in 1792 in Norman’s Kill, Schenectady Co., NY. Shortly thereafter, he and Maria moved to the “land of opportunity” north of Ft Orange (Albany) on the Sacandaga River. In Nathaniel Sylvester’s THE HISTORY OF SARATOGA COUNTY NEW YORK, 1609 – 1878, Everts & Ensign, Philadelphia:1878, Sylvester writes, “Matthew Flansburg came from Guilderland, Albany County, in 1802, and settled on lot 35 of the Glen and Yates Patent. There were but few settlers, no roads, and an almost unbroken forest. After clearing a sufficient space he planted his crops and waited for the harvest. The following winter he went to Schenectady, a distance of forty miles, on foot after a half-bushel of salt, which he brought back on his shoulder. He came from Albany via Schenectady, Fish House, and Beecher’s Hollow. He had six children, four of whom are still living in the county. Peter, the oldest, lives in Day, aged eighty four years (in 1878). Catherine Mosher lives in Day; William H. lives in Hadley, and John in Ballston.”
Three years earlier, Matheus’ brother Nicholas, had settled in Day. Sylvester writes, “In the spring of 1799, Nicholas Flansburgh, a resident of Schenectady county, came – via the Fish House (Northampton) – down the river (Sacandaga River) in a dugout, and, landing on the south bank of the river, nearly opposite Day Centre, settled on lot 3, great lot 21 of the John Glen Patent. He built a log house, and clearing up the land as quickly as possible, planted his crops. Wild animals were quite plentiful at that time. The deer had a herding-place or yard at a large rock on the hill near Mr. Flansburgh’s. Bears were frequently seen, and sometimes, grown bold by pressing hunger, would come and carry off a calf, sheep or pig, and often the poor settler, lacking powder and ball, was forced to see his property destroyed without remedy. Sometimes the tables were turned, and Bruin himself helped to fill the meat-barrel. The barking of foxes and the howling of wolves was frequent, and the blood-curdling shriek of the panther was occasionally heard.”
Maria died in 1852, and Matheus died 6 years later at the age of 95. Both are buried in marked graves in the West Day Cemetery. The flag on Mathew’s grave is testimony to his military service in the American Revolution. He was a Capt. In Jurinan Hogan’s Company, Col. Henry Quakenboss’ regiment, Albany Co., NY Militia. [You may contact Deane Dayton to inquire about joining the SAR.]
Matheus’ father was Joseph VLENSBURGH, b. October 14, 1720 in Albany. Four of Joseph’s sons (Matheus, Dirk, William and Anthony) were American Patriots who saw action in the American Revolution. Son Dirk was probably the most prosperous. He was a Tavern Keeper in Half-Moon (just north of Albany on the Hudson River).
Joseph’s father was Matheus VLENSBURGH, born About March 1687/88 in Albany. His occupation was turner and blockmaker. In politics, he was Assistant Councilman. “He had a lot near the Horse Guard blockhouse; corner of Hudson and Green Streets in 1718. [SOURCE: Genealogies of the First Settlers of Albany, Pearson, p. 48].
Matheus’ father was Jan Jansen VAN FLENSBURG, born before 1672 in probably Holland.